Having beautiful, luxurious hardwood floors in your home is an investment that should yield years of satisfaction and comfortable living. Keeping your hardwood floor in pristine condition requires a few simple but vital cleaning and care habits to keep your floor looking and feeling like the day it was installed or refurbished.
While hardwood floors are resilient and should last for many years, they still require care to ensure that their appearance and function isn’t ruined by accidental damage or unnecessary wear and tear. Keep these general rules in mind to keep your floor free from scrapes and scratches:
– Place floor protectors under all furniture, to act as a buffer between the furniture and floor
– Make use of entrance mats to trap dirt, mud and other damaging elements
– Take off your shoes and avoid wearing high heels on hardwood floors
– Place rugs in high traffic areas where wear and tear is more likely, such as a child’s play area
– Never drag furniture or items across the floor – either lift and carry or place on a soft blanket under the item, to avoid scratching the floor
– Invest in cleaning products specifically made for hardwood floors. General cleaners, tile cleaners and vinyl floor cleaner ingredients tend to be abrasive and will damage the integrity of your wooden floor, or cause the floors to appear dull and lacklustre
To ensure your hardwood floors remain in good condition all year round, give them a routine clean every week.
– Use a vacuum cleaner with the brush head extension to avoid any scratching while you vacuum, followed by a clean with a microfiber mop to capture and collect all dirt and dust particles
– Depending on how much dirt is tracked into your home – for example, having pets or toddlers will increase the frequency and intensity of dirt collecting – a more in-depth clean will be required more often. Use supplier approved or specialised hardwood floor cleaning liquids and a non-abrasive mop or sponge to wipe down floor surfaces
Interested in giving your house a new lease on life with hardwood flooring? Contact us for a consultation and discover how our flooring can reinvigorate the aesthetic of your home.